*** Opened channel log for #ADF at 2017-05-16 7:54:55 PM [19:56] *** LisaWM (LisaWM@sorcery-vjcoav.cpe.pppoe.ca) has joined #ADF [19:57] Hello. [19:58] Hey :) [19:58] [Owlhawk] hello [19:58] *** Guest (Mibbit@sorcery-k20dgl.irl.cri.nz) has joined #ADF [19:59] I haven't made it to one of these chats in a bit. [20:02] [Owlhawk] glad you decided to join us [20:02] *** Rovena (rovena@sorcery-utp.njf.45.67.IP) has joined #ADF [20:02] *** Mode change [+o Rovena] on #ADF by ChanServ [20:03] Hello everyone [20:04] *** Guest is now known as noinden [20:04] Howdy [20:05] How is it down under? [20:06] Wintery [20:07] I can imagine. We are starting to get our hot weather. [20:07] I am visiting the USA in a few weeks, so I am not getting too accustomed to winter quite yet [20:09] Cool. Will be glad to have you back here even if it is temporary. [20:11] *** BridgetteAdkins (Mibbit@sorcery-nvtphc.res.bhn.net) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [20:12] Its just two weeks, visiting inlaws, but its been 8 years since we were last in the Sates [20:12] Two weeks isn't long. [20:13] It doesn't seem that long ago. [20:14] OR a lifetime ago. It is closer to a decade than not oh and its 7 years, silly me its only 2017 [20:15] Time is a relative term. Linear time is a man-made construct or so I am told. [20:16] I'm a scientist remember, thats philisophical self gratification. WE can only experience time in one direction, thus it only has meaning that way. Unless you take substances that mess with the brain. [20:17] *** MelittaStafford (Mibbit@sorcery-ij9.7na.11.66.IP) has joined #ADF [20:17] I live cleanly though I enjoy the philosophical vagueness at times. [20:17] Hello everyone [20:17] Hello Melitta [20:17] How are you tonight? [20:18] I am doing really well. How is everyone else? [20:18] Busy. Enjoying the break to chat. [20:18] me too. I didnt know if I was going to make it our not, but here I am :) [20:19] Garden and house work, etc... [20:19] Glad you made it. [20:20] me too. So what is the topic tonight? [20:20] No set topic. Whatever we want to talk about. [20:20] I'm at work distracted with a report, and some lab work, so I may be ...lagged [20:21] cool, also btw nice to meet you noinden [20:21] We will forgive your distraction. [20:22] Do you have a topic for us, Melitta? [20:23] Well I mean I have a few questions, but the only one that comes to mind at the moment is, has anyone read Sacred Gifts by Rev. Kirk? [20:23] I just received my copy a week ago and I am finding it to be a really nice read. [20:23] I own it but haven't read it yet. [20:23] I haven't read it yet [20:24] Yep I've read it. I liked it [20:24] Agreed with much of it [20:24] so far I really enjoy it. It puts me in the mind of Eliade [20:25] *** Thexalon (Mibbit@sorcery-a890t0.res.rr.com) has joined #ADF [20:25] [Owlhawk] it's on my to buy list [20:25] It really is a good book. Well the first four chapters have been anyway [20:26] Which book, since I missed the start of this discussion? [20:26] Hello Thexalon [20:26] Sacred Gifts by Rev. Kirk [20:26] Hey Thex [20:26] Hey Owl [20:26] Hey Lisa [20:26] Hi Melitta, haven't seen you around these parts much. [20:26] [Owlhawk] hi [20:26] And yes, Sacred Gifts is a very good book. [20:27] Yeah, I have been working but I know have a lot of free time. My department dissolved so I am now open and free again [20:28] I read Kirks book when it came out, as he and I had talked over the years about sacrifice, I was amused to see things we had talked about still held true for Kirk [20:29] so what is everyone working on at the moment? I am one year into my IP and I am really finding the work to be meaningful and transformative. [20:29] My big project has been moving into and fixing up a new house directly across from Tredara, but in terms of study, it's been the Bardic Guild program. [20:30] The GSP courses that were pre-reqs were very worth it too. [20:30] I bet that is something that was interesting to witness. I cant wait to meet all of you, other members of adf included, at a festival or event one day. [20:30] I just started the IP and GSP. Have Liturgy 1 submitted for review [20:30] I'm working on deciding if I stay with ADF, while trying to wrangle the Gael Kin (I'm the Chief) towards activity [20:30] Thex, Tredara is so beautiful. Have not seen it in person yet but you all have done an amazing job [20:31] We just added a shrine to the nature spirits a few weeks ago, and today built a nice brick path from there to a nearby pond. [20:31] Nice, you all seem to be really busy. [20:31] Pictures soon I hope??? [20:32] I undertand about trying to get a group to do stuff. [20:32] Rovena, congrats! What was your favorite and most challenging part of Lit 1? [20:32] A few pics have been posted by Ian, but I'm sure more will come out of Wellspring. Michael Dangler took what has become the standard picture of the ancestor mound. [20:33] The Warriors guild was even worse (also led that at one point), but the Gael Kin seems to not know where to go with it self. [20:33] Technopagans is the same way. [20:33] Nionden, I hope that the Kindreds are with you in your decision making and as well with your work to bring more activity to the guild. What are some things that you have been trying to bring to group active? [20:34] As for Lit 1, what I found most interesting was that it pushed me to read a lot of Isaac's writings, which was my chance to get to know the man a bit. [20:34] The kindred will have nothing to do with it. The way ADF acts up till my renewal in december will decide it. [20:34] Thex, yeah the ancestors mound is gorgeous! I love the skull stone work [20:35] The skull stone work is properly credited to Sidney Bolam, from Indiana. [20:35] As for the Kin? Some people want a study program, but are unwilling to contribute. I've led groups in ADF since 2006, and you can't create activity, if no one wants to take part in it. [20:35] For the Hellenic Kin, our activity has been pretty limited to fun stuff like symposium, not serious stuff. [20:36] Thex, I understand what you mean. Lit 1 has had me jumping in between Kirk, Isaacs, and Ians work quite often. It is interesting to see how their visions are so similar yet different at the same time. [20:37] The "problem" with Kin, is they exist to help people with their choosen (or interst in) hearths. Its why study programs have not been part of how they run. To be honest the Sub-groups need reorganized and refocused as a whole. [20:38] Study programs don't really make sense for kins. Their primary role in the org is providing culture-specific information for people doing other study programs. [20:38] The Norse Kin has submitted a study program and it is in the approval process [20:38] For example, when doing ritual phrasing for Lit 1, looking through what the Roman and Norse kins had come up with was really helpful. [20:39] Noinden, There isnt much I can say to that, sorry. As a solitary practitioner I find myself on the outskirts of a lot of org problems, activety being one of them. I wish that I lived near a large grove but that is some years off [20:39] Thex, speaking of the Hellenic Kin, are we all still planning a meeting at the Parthenon for the eclipse? [20:40] Yes the Norse Kin did, its the first. If you look at what each TYPE of subgroup is supposed to do, and then the sub groups we have, its become muddied. [20:40] As far as I know, the Nashville eclipse is still on. I was planning on making it down there if at all possible. [20:40] I've been a solitary (mostly) in ADF and in New Zealand (mostly, except for 6 years in Milwaukee), since 2000 you can get involved if you try. [20:41] Nashville is a little over an hour away for me, so I will be there for sure. [20:41] Rob Henderson is leading that effort. I just make sure the symposium and do occasional election work. [20:42] Noinden, I agree with you but I also know my own limitations and that is how I know that I dont have it in me to be more involved than I am. I was the cheif of the Cranes sig but when my grandmother became sick I had to move back to Pikeville to care for her and my time became very limited. [20:43] But back to the point. You can't create and sustain activity in groups which resist it. The dead lists show it is an issue [20:43] Nothing wrong with knowing your limitations. I'm just pointing out, that solitary or distance are not an issue. We had a member from the middle east for years, that is dedication [20:44] Thex, I will have to send a message to Rob tonight and ask if there is anything that I can do to help. I mean I dont mind to bring ritual stuff if it is needed, etc... [20:44] And that dedication can lead to great things, such as what Ishtar's been able to do in Germany. [20:46] I guess my opinion (and we all know I voice those :) sue me) is we have to be dedicated to "be excellent" ;) That gets lost from what I've seen. Know your limits, but push them [20:46] I hope her new deputy in Germany can keep it going. [20:46] [Owlhawk] I wish I could make the Nashville Eclipse [20:46] I understand why it's hard for you to get to Nashville. [20:47] That is true but it doesnt work the same for all people is all I am saying. I mean I am very active in my local UU, I lead service, etc and have for years but when I try that with ADF the return is luster lacking. Not saying that I want recogniton or anything I just notice that here in Middle TN most people have never heard of ADF and cleave to the idea of [20:47] [Owlhawk] lol. thank you. still really would like to go...oh well, in the future [20:47] solitude rather than public events or rituals. [20:48] There is a longstanding tradition of secrecy within neopagan practice. Which is pretty silly at this point. [20:49] There are still places where being pagan can cost you your job. [20:49] For a public church its foolish [20:49] The kind of secrecy I see as silly are the trying to hide specific practices when those practices have already been published in numerous books. [20:49] Dont I know it. I literally had a person tell me at a PNO last month that any magic that I work in public ritual is empty work because it is done for the public and not for myself.... smh, I told her that public work was for the public and my personal practice is just that- personal. LOL [20:49] I understand the broom closet very well. [20:50] Also only if you let it cost your job. You don't have to advertise your faith, or hide it. Mind you people tend not to mess with me ;) [20:51] yeah but here in TN we are a right to hire and fire state. Literally a person can choose to fire you over any little thing, sometimes without providing a reason. [20:51] For instance I was fired from a salon because of the restroom that I used.... My lawyer told me that they had that right. [20:52] Not to mention we are in the heart of the bible belt. [20:52] I am aware about TN (my wife is from there). I've lived in similar conditions when I lived in the USA [20:53] Yeah, it is pretty intense here in TN since our transition to our current political atmosphere [20:56] Ohio has a similar legal situation, but companies are a lot less keen to take advantage of it. [20:57] so random question, but have any of your built a house? If so did you incorporate ritual into that construction? My partner and I are currently working on a skoolie and I have been working on a few rituals to mark our progress. Cleansing, establishing the threshold, etc... ending with He and I lighting our HearthFire together. [20:58] No, but one of my sort-of grovies is doing that kind of work in West Virginia, and might have some ideas. [20:58] We have remodeled a house but never built one from scratch. [20:59] I would love to hear any ideas that any of you have about the process, what were some things that you did to mark a space as your own when you moved into your new house? [20:59] Ian and Sue installed a manufactured home years ago, they might have some ideas. [20:59] Thex, would you mind to send me their info or you can send them mine, either way [21:00] When we first meved here, we did made offers to the Nature Spirits asking to be share the land with each other. [21:00] I think that I will reach out to Ian. I just finished his book Pagan Spirit and it was a really nice read. Also it was nice reading information on magic from a polytheistic point of view without wiccan over tones. Nothing against Wicca, I just wanted something new. [21:00] As for marking the house as your own, what I did: Light the hearth fire, did a Core Order ritual that included announcing what my intentions were, and in the workings lit some sage and purified the entire home. [21:01] Nothing real formal. [21:02] I like both ideas though. One thing that the IP has inpressed upon me is a working relationship with the sovereign spirits in my area. I have even started making offerings to Brockdell, which is the mountain that I live on. [21:02] *** LisaWM (LisaWM@sorcery-vjcoav.cpe.pppoe.ca) has quit IRC [Quit: Leaving] [21:04] That is a good start. [21:05] Thanks. Also, I noticed that on the side of the mountain there is a spring that popped up so i think that I am going to start gathering my well water from that spring [21:06] Sounds like a good idea to me. [21:07] Thanks. [21:07] Yeah, both sound right on. [21:09] I have really enjoyed making offerings to the spirit of the mountain. It has actually lead me to do a little more research about the place that I live, which again has been really nice. [21:10] Knowledge is important [21:13] ok, well it has been great talking with everyone tonight. I hope to chat with you all again next week. However, for now I am off to find something for dinner. I hope that you all have good night and a wondrful week. [21:13] Til next time! [21:14] *** MelittaStafford (Mibbit@sorcery-ij9.7na.11.66.IP) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:15] I'll be dropping off too. [21:15] *** Thexalon (Mibbit@sorcery-a890t0.res.rr.com) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:15] and I'll be lurking for a bit [21:16] No problem. [21:19] *** noinden (Mibbit@sorcery-k20dgl.irl.cri.nz) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:26] *** Rovena (rovena@sorcery-utp.njf.45.67.IP) has quit IRC [Quit:] *** Closed channel log for #ADF at 2017-05-16 9:37:47 PM