*** Opened channel log for #adf at 17/06/2014 8:18:20 PM : hello everyone : Hello : How are you tonight? : not to bad : How are you? : Trying to stay cool. : Yeah I live in West Texas so I know what you mean : Do you go to the Imbolc retreat? : Hello all. : Hello Brendan : I am fairly new so I am not sure what or where the Imbolc retreat is yet : Ahh. If you get a chance to go, it is fun and in West Texas : When is it? : First weekend in February at the U Bar U ranch. : Do you have any questions that we might be able to hwlp you with? : Yep it is still five hours away such is my life : hello : Oops! I just realized I have an errand to run. See you all later if you are still online when I get back. : It is a weekendlong event and I travel there from Shreveport : Well I am haveing some trouble getting started with well anything. I think part of the problem is that I am having trouble with the e book : Lots of people have problems getting started. Anything in particular you would like to have discussed? : Part of it was I think that I wondered if something was discused again later in the book and spent about an hour attempting to scan through to see and after about an hour gave up and took another hour or so to get back to where I had been : Yeah that would be a pain for sure. : I enjoy using my phone and e-reader for reading fiction but it seems that when it comes to non-fiction and research I am a traditional media person. I ran into this during research before when reading an article for class took two hours to scan through on the computer when I could do a full book in the same time if it were a normal book : I prefer a regular book for research if I am citing the work. : Hello Luke : Well after some kerfuffle I managed to order the book from the ADF stor : Evening all : Hello Jason : THe normal book will help for sure : Hay rovena : howdy Jason : Wait there is a book that tells you how to be normal? : That is a book I would NOT want : It sounds boring? : We are using the term normal book for a physical book instead of a e book : Oh well that makes way more sense : How is everyone tonight? : Another thing that I have been concerned about is choosing a hearth culture : YOu don't have to choose : You can explore they all : I didn't think it was an actual requirement? : For DP you need to pick one to explore for a book report : You have to do a book report on one of the books that cover one of them : Pick one, read the book and if you hate it you can say so or pick another one. : But that's a hearth culture for study right? It's not something you are actually bound to? : If i had the funds I likly would have bought every book on the list : Definitely not bound to it. : Also sorry about the clumsy typeing I have my wrist brace on : Some people start out with one and over the years find they have more in another direction : I can spell perfectly I just can't type good : So long as you don't swear an oath to follow one culture, then you are free to choose as you wish. : I can normaly very good at typing but can spell particularly well : I mean I'm fairly clear on my hearth culture but my family patron is from a completely different one. : Many people make that work for them. : We have a Buddha on our altar because of my husband's 3 tours in Vietnam : That seems to be fairly normal around here : Split personality? : playing with getting visual irc to work so I can log these. [20:18] *** Owlhawk1 (Owlhawk@c5151d33.cpe.net.cable.f33844f1.com.hmsk) has joined #adf [20:18] *** Topic is: Welcome to the chat for Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship (ADF). Find out more about us at http://www.adf.org [20:18] *** Topic set by ChanServ!services@services.sorcery.net on Tue Jun 17 5:40 PM [20:18] Split personality? [20:18] [Owlhawk1] playing with getting visual irc to work so I can log these. [20:19] I am somewhat hesitant to say this because of how some people react to it. I belive that all pantheons are real one simply needs to find the one or ones that are the most true for them [20:20] [Owlhawk1] don't hesitate. Don't scream it out, but don't hesitate. that's a valid view point. [20:20] I have no problem with that statement [20:20] Given that reality is based on perception I don't see a problem with that statement [20:20] ADF doesn't tell you what to belief [20:21] =NickServ= Nick [Owlhawk] isn't registered. [20:21] *** [Owlhawk] is now known as Owlhawk [20:21] =NickServ= This nickname is registered and protected. If it is your [20:21] =NickServ= nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. Otherwise, [20:21] =NickServ= please choose a different nick. [20:21] =NickServ= If you do not change within 1 minute, I will change your nick. [20:22] -> *NickServ* IDENTIFY snowball1 [20:22] =NickServ= Password accepted - you are now recognized. [20:22] *** Mode change [+o Owlhawk] on #adf by ChanServ [20:22] That's ok my battalion chaplain gave me one of the most amusing reasons for faith that I have ever heard. [20:22] beliving in things can be helpful and problamitic [20:23] *** Brendan (Mibbit@d098f84f.hsd1.mi.5aa6454b.net.hmsk) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [20:24] WOuld you like to share it? [20:24] I would say belief it self is fine. Belief to the detriment of self and others, less so. [20:24] That is true [20:25] If you are right and I am wrong I am still fine but if you are wrong and I am right then I go to heaven and you don't so why shouldn't I live my life in this way [20:26] Okay [20:27] *** Brendan (Mibbit@d098f84f.hsd1.mi.5aa6454b.net.hmsk) has joined #adf [20:28] He is a good person and I am pretty sure his faith is not summerized in that statement but I though that was a very odd way to put it. [20:30] *** Brendan (Mibbit@d098f84f.hsd1.mi.5aa6454b.net.hmsk) has quit IRC [Client Quit] [20:31] *** ADF_Awen (Mibbit@d0cc9ebc.hvc.res.14056255.com.hmsk) has joined #adf [20:31] Hello Awen [20:31] * ADF_Awen it's Bonnie :) this is just my normal irc tag.. [20:31] Hello Bonnie [20:31] *** Drum (Mibbit@184d56a6.hsd1.mi.5aa6454b.net.hmsk) has joined #adf [20:32] I work with a lot of good people of faith [20:32] Good evening, all! [20:32] Hello Drum [20:32] Hello, Rovena! [20:32] hello drum [20:32] Hay Bonnie, Drum [20:32] We put on a World Religion Day every year [20:32] [Owlhawk] Hello [20:32] *** Dale_ (guest@da0a743d.new.res.14056255.com.hmsk) has joined #adf [20:32] Hello Dale [20:32] what're we chatting about so far? [20:32] Good evening Rovena [20:33] hello dale [20:33] Everything [20:33] everything is good :] [20:33] :D [20:33] Hi all. [20:33] everyone geared up for Solstice? [20:34] [Owlhawk] not even close. [20:34] I have trio writing it and I have no clue what they have planned [20:34] That's this weekend isn't it [20:34] Yes, it is [20:35] Well I should probably get off my ass then. [20:35] Impromptu from the heart can be powerful [20:36] Well I will be in the field for my NG weekend so I will need something that I can do in the field. Of course I would need somewhere to start for the prep. [20:38] This rite is going to be in a quary area in a state park. There aren’t any trees in it, and I’m not sure what I’ll use for the Tree hallow. [20:38] I will have out of town house guests so I'll have go subtle or late [20:38] Or early [20:38] Dale, you could always bring a bile with you - no? [20:38] I'm not that eairly of a riser [20:39] Or if they are open to it invite them [20:39] Eh not their thing [20:39] I don’t have anything suitable. I have a wooden walking stick, but, I’m not sure about using it for a group ritual. [20:40] It seems kind of odd refering to the walking stick as Yggdrasil [20:40] I may mask it as a good excuse for a cookout / bonfire [20:40] the Celtic day starts at sunset so you could Friday evening [20:41] Get an 8x8 post from home Depot and shave the corners off [20:41] Dale the roots of the world tree connect all of us together there is some lovely symbolism in useing something of the self to connect to it [20:41] We've done it with literal sticks because that's all we had :] sometimes, you just need to improvise. [20:41] A walking stick anchored would be pretty nifty, I'd imagine. [20:42] I know it would do…but something more majestic would be nice :D [20:42] I'm debating building a permanent post in my yard for the purpose [20:43] I rent so even my tomato plant is in a big pot it's growing well though [20:44] I'm very lucky to have a flagstone circle in my back yard with a fire pit in the middle [20:44] That is pretty lucky [20:45] I have an apple tree I would live to use as a world tree but it is outside the circle, and for some reason seam very far away during ritual [20:46] BTW, someone here is celebrating a birthday today... [20:47] congradulations [20:47] *** Mode change [+o Drum] on #adf by ChanServ [20:47] (didn't mean to interrupt, sorry) [20:47] Happy Birthday Person of the Day [20:48] [Owlhawk] Thank you. [20:48] Happy birthday Owl [20:48] Happy birthday Owl [20:48] Are you have a special mead to celebrate? [20:49] Happy birthday Owlhawk [20:49] [Owlhawk] Wife and I had a bottle of Black Cherry Merlot today and some Sparkling Maple Mead last night. [20:49] :) [20:52] *** Raggiedmon (IceChat77@6ca5ed5e.6ca5ecd9.198.254.imsk) has quit IRC [Quit: We be chillin - IceChat style] [20:52] What are the differant traditions of the solstace I would like to celibrate it but again I will be away from home [20:52] *** Raggiedmon (IceChat77@6ca5ed5e.6ca5ecd9.198.254.imsk) has joined #adf [20:52] Happy Birthday! [20:53] Longest day or shortest day, depending upon hemisphere [20:54] [Owlhawk] Thank you. [20:54] That much I do know I was asking more how is it celibrated than what it was [20:55] Drum are still talking about the solstice or Owl's birthday? [20:55] both i think jason [20:59] [Owlhawk] Bonfires tend to be popular. [20:59] Pagans love fire [21:00] Solstice, not his birthday ;) [21:00] Any excuse for a good bonfire [21:00] Difficult for apartment dwellers though [21:00] [Owlhawk] We need an excuse? [21:01] I will be doing military exercises in the feild so no fire also we are under a burn ban [21:01] [Owlhawk] that sucks. [21:01] which part? [21:01] Dance around your flashlight? [21:01] DANCE AROUND YOUR FLASHLIGHT. [21:01] Jason I love you. [21:02] [Owlhawk] mostly the burn ban I would think. [21:02] Love all around Bonnie. [21:03] yeah it happens when you live in a desert during a drought [21:03] The image was just to good. [21:04] If you could get the whole unit to add theirs it may be a reasonable approximation. [21:05] How many candlepowers equals one bonfirepower? [21:05] somehow I doubt I would get that much enthusiasm for the idea [21:05] You might if you could get some belly dancers to show up [21:06] [Owlhawk] That's a lovely picture.... [21:07] Yeah I don't know about that we will be within a few hundred yards from an impact zone small arms but they are particular on who they let over there [21:08] and besides a bunch of infrantry men hooting and hollering at bellydancers would likely take away from the celebration of the solstice [21:08] Bad they are just no fun. [21:09] I suppose there is that [21:10] *** LukeLandry (Mibbit@3e095684.dhcp.oxfr.ma.4e125616.com.hmsk) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:13] It seems that it is much harder to celibrate the solstice when you are on manuvers [21:13] So I'm getting my furnace replaced this week. I was wondering if that could be considered as much a modern hearth fire as a kitchen stove. [21:14] [Owlhawk] hadn't thought of it that way. it's an interesting idea. A furnace does take the place of a fire place so it makes sense I think. [21:15] Dedicate your maneuvers to summer maidens in an effort to keep the war Gods busy? [21:16] [Owlhawk] lol [21:16] It seams as though the heath fire has become split. The stove for cooking, furnace for warmth and electricity for light. As opposed to it being a single source [21:17] I have an electric stove so it's even more confusing [21:17] I really have little idea what to do I am a creative person but I don't know what to do with it in this case [21:17] I hav an all electric home so you could say I have a single source [21:17] So is your hearth fire the local power plant? [21:18] Technically speaking. [21:18] or it could mean that your heath fire is a bit further away as in the power plant [21:18] Ha, beat you to it [21:19] perhaps but it's kinda hard to type quickly with a brace on [21:19] [Owlhawk] no harder then typing well holding a horn of mead is. [21:20] this is true but then the mead is likely much more important than typing well [21:20] Really anything that requires a personal investment could be Sean as a sacrifice. So the idea of making your maneuvers an offering is not so crazy. [21:21] [Owlhawk] That would, I would think, depend on which Deity or Deities the offering was being made to. [21:24] Well yes, tribe / community Gods may work well for the solstice. And I would think the efforts of a protector would be welcome? [21:24] I was thinking of doing some resarch to find a deity or group of deities and a basis of what to say and then writing a poem which under normal circumstances would be burned at the end of the celibration but in this case i would likely need to just use a shreader\ [21:24] [Owlhawk] I would think so. [21:25] [Owlhawk] or save it to burn when you get home. [21:25] Height of the field work, maybe even first harvest depending on region. All very community related [21:27] [Owlhawk] and in some areas of the mediterranian it's the season where nothing grows because it's too hot and burning. [21:28] Interesting [21:29] [Owlhawk] I thinking of Greece. Summer tended to be the barren time there. Completely different wheel of the year [21:32] Well I think I will go with the poem it is nice and other than picking who to dedicate it to is fairly simple would you all mind sharing some deities that are traditionaly linked to the solstice [21:32] [Owlhawk] Solar Deities are a big one [21:37] well i have to run so see you all later [21:37] *** bblythe84 (Mibbit@300faaa1.lbbkcmtk01.tx.dh.4dd1e81a.net.hmsk) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:37] I think there is some evidence for Epona at this time [21:37] *** ADF_Awen (Mibbit@d0cc9ebc.hvc.res.14056255.com.hmsk) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:41] [Owlhawk] I'm not as up on the Celtic stuff as I used to b. [21:41] [Owlhawk] be [21:43] I'm not to up on solstice celebrations [21:46] *** JasonM (AndChat501@afb43f9a.hsd1.ma.5aa6454b.net.hmsk) has quit IRC [Quit: Bye] [21:46] *** JasonM (AndChat501@afb43f9a.hsd1.ma.5aa6454b.net.hmsk) has joined #adf [21:47] Not all hearth cultures celebrate the Wheel of the Year as it is understood today. [21:48] No, but I thought the major celestial celebrations were the most common [21:50] I thought the cross quarter days were the most in dispute? [21:51] The 4 Fire festivals are listed on the Coligny Calendar but not the solstices/equinoxes. [21:52] Yeah I did notice that, but I'm wondering if they were so ingrained that they didn't write them down? But I think a lunar cycle is listed so that may not be the case [21:54] I thought there was some pre Indo-European evidence for the tracking of solstice and equinox [21:55] My personal gues were the Fire festivals were where the tribes came together en mass and the solstices/equinoxes were celebrated on the local family level. We have ten Federal holidays but future researchers might not see the Family celeberations like birthdays and wedding anniversaries. [21:55] The record is hard to track who was doing what. [21:55] Good point [21:58] *** Server connection lost [21:58] *** Owlhawk (Owlhawk@c5151d33.cpe.net.cable.f33844f1.com.hmsk) has joined #adf [21:58] *** Topic is: Welcome to the chat for Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship (ADF). Find out more about us at http://www.adf.org [21:58] *** Topic set by ChanServ!services@services.sorcery.net on Tue Jun 17 5:40 PM [21:58] =NickServ= This nickname is registered and protected. If it is your [21:58] =NickServ= nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. Otherwise, [21:58] =NickServ= please choose a different nick. [21:58] =NickServ= If you do not change within 1 minute, I will change your nick. [21:58] Not that they were fantastic civil planners [22:00] *** Owlhawk1 (Owlhawk@c5151d33.cpe.net.cable.f33844f1.com.hmsk) has joined #adf [22:00] *** Topic is: Welcome to the chat for Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship (ADF). Find out more about us at http://www.adf.org [22:00] *** Topic set by ChanServ!services@services.sorcery.net on Tue Jun 17 5:40 PM [22:00] *** Owlhawk1 (Owlhawk@c5151d33.cpe.net.cable.f33844f1.com.hmsk) has joined #adf [22:00] *** Topic is: Welcome to the chat for Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship (ADF). Find out more about us at http://www.adf.org [22:00] *** Topic set by ChanServ!services@services.sorcery.net on Tue Jun 17 5:40 PM [22:00] You don't see many Grid based settlements around Hill forts. [22:01] Maybe grid didn't work for the terrain. [22:01] If you aren't aligning the buildings to each other, we're you start is less important [22:03] *** Drum (Mibbit@184d56a6.hsd1.mi.5aa6454b.net.hmsk) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [22:04] That's my point if that kind of civic Alignment doesn't work, then there it seams more likely to align the major centers for ceremonial reasons [22:05] But would they have seen a difference between civic and religious planning? [22:07] Probably not. But I have not seen any evidence that towns were laid out off of a given Alignment, even to other structures.. [22:07] I would love to do this all night but it is past my bedtime already. Thanks for a great discussion. [22:08] If that is the case then there is no need to align central structures to use as a reference as they seam to have done in Ur. [22:08] *** rovena (rovena@6ca5ecc2.a55580.67.143.imsk) has quit IRC [] [22:08] I think it's about that time for me to. Night all. *** Closed channel log for #adf at 17/06/2014 10:00:13 PM