*** Opened channel log for #ADF at 2017-11-14 7:00:57 PM [19:00] *** Owlhawk (Owlhawk@sorcery-hfsa73.cable.rogers.com) has joined #ADF [19:00] *** Topic is: Welcome to the chat for Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship (ADF). Find out more about us at http://www.adf.org [19:00] *** Topic set by ChanServ!services@services.sorcery.net on Mon Aug 3 7:55 AM [19:00] *** Mode change [+o Owlhawk] on #ADF by ChanServ [19:40] *** rovena (rovena@sorcery-f3t.njf.45.67.IP) has joined #ADF [19:40] *** Mode change [+o rovena] on #ADF by ChanServ [19:47] [Owlhawk] hi [19:47] Hello! [19:47] Howdy [19:48] [Owlhawk] so, until the admin mail catches up with Selene, I'm not an ADF member.... [19:48] Warning: keyboard is malfunctioning; getting new one tomorrow. [19:48] OH no! [19:48] Hello! [19:48] Hello Dan [19:48] We still love you Owlhawk! [19:49] Thats me as of December 10 too [19:49] [Owlhawk] my renewal got to the office around Hugh's death, so wait for now [19:50] Gareth, you will still be welcomed here [19:50] Oh wait mine is different. I'm leaving [19:51] Its not like I often coordinate the time to be on hereanyway. But I will not be a stranger to some [19:52] The time zone difference can be a bugger [19:52] It was from day one in 2000 when I joined. Then I was too busy in Milwaukee when I lived there [19:53] I'm currently at work, multi tasking (on split screens) [19:56] How are things going for Dan? [19:58] Hubby and I spent today at Southern Arkansas University's International Culture and World Religion Day. [19:58] Going well. I've been busy lately, so I haven't worked on my DP study as much as I want to, but I'm wanting to get back on track. [19:59] That is not uncommon. [19:59] Just keep going, you'll get there. [20:00] I took 10 years to actually get around to it [20:01] Yeah, it's just annoying, because I really enjoy learning everything, but other stuff wants to get in the way. [20:01] That happens to lots of people. [20:01] In the end I just brute forced it before moving back to New Zealand [20:02] I got a mentor for my Initiate Program. She has been a big help. [20:02] Yeah same, and I still got road blocked with life. [20:03] Very true. [20:07] Dan, if you ever need any help with the DP, this is a good place to ask. [20:10] Yeah, a lot of it for me at this point is just reading, learning, and forming my own perspectives. There are things I want to know more about, but I know I've barely scratched the surface of the resources available to me. [20:10] Cool. Learning is something my hubby and I love to do. [20:11] That also leads to the perceived lack of time. So many things I want to learn, so little time, relatively speaking. [20:11] That is why I brute forced mine in the end. [20:12] I realize I don't have to know everything right away, but it's just my desire to do so that I have to manage. [20:12] Yeah as a Recon I understand that. BUT the DP really is not that much work, if you just do it. For me the Meditation journal was most painful (its not how I work). [20:13] Mind you as I've written a couple of dissertations and a thesis over the years, my deffination of "a lot of work" is higher than many [20:15] Definition will vary from person to person. [20:16] Oh, I agree the DP is not a work of work itself, but it just makes it tempting to dive deeper into the subjects it covers. [20:16] As somone who's mentored a number of members over the years (via the mentoring program) .... reading the books seems to be a problem for a lot of folks, let alone writing 150 to 300 words. [20:16] *** rovena (rovena@sorcery-f3t.njf.45.67.IP) has quit IRC [Connection closed] [20:16] Dan, do the other courses or join the Scholars guild if you want to do a deep dive ;) [20:18] *** rovena (rovena@sorcery-f3t.njf.45.67.IP) has joined #ADF [20:18] *** Mode change [+o rovena] on #ADF by ChanServ [20:18] Welcome back [20:18] Thanks I just love satelites [20:19] Heh, well I certainly plan to continue study beyond the DP, but I understand establishing a foundation of knowledge before diving too deeply into other things. [20:19] A good foundation is always good [20:19] I'm still finding ways to further explore some concepts in the DP without wandering off too far. [20:20] When I joined ADF I'd been a Pagan (a Recon) for over a Decade. the DP was for me, learning to "think in the ADF way". There are bits I would have avoided if I'd been allowed. [20:22] Well, that's probably the main difference. I came into ADF a couple of months ago new to Paganism. There's nothing that sounds too foreign or incompatible to me, which is what made me pull the trigger and join. [20:23] I know I joined looking for community (sort of why I am leaving too) not "how to be a Pagan" [20:23] Its not that I did not learn stuff however. [20:26] I hope I never lost my desire to learn. [20:41] I feel for a lot of us there is an energy barrier to get over to do so. Life comes first for many of us. I know with a 9 month old that is so [20:42] Understand that. [20:44] Well I have had a long day so I will bide y'all a good night. [20:44] *** rovena (rovena@sorcery-f3t.njf.45.67.IP) has quit IRC [Quit:] [20:45] later [20:45] Bye! [20:46] Oh, you were responding to rovena. [20:47] So Dan, while I fully understand the want of excellence in your studies. After all why not ;) Don't make that a barrier to doing more. The more people dedicated to doign a good job inside ADF the better (yet another reason for my leaving) [20:48] Anyway, for me, it's not so much learning "how to be a Pagan". It's more like I was on a religious/spiritual journey, and I found Druidry/ADF to be the best match of my own beliefs. [20:48] Which is good! [20:51] Of course, I've run into new concepts, but that's what I meant when I said I didn't find anything too foreign or outright incompatible with my beliefs. [20:51] I've kept an open mind. [20:52] I think the people who have the largest issue are people from an eclectic background, when they do the COoR! That wigs a lot of them out (where are the cirlces, watch towers, and banishings, omg you will cause a natural disaster (a quote from an actual ritual I ran in Milwaukee from a Wiccan)) [20:54] Yeah, it was interesting for me when I went to a Pagan Pride Day and participated in a Wiccan ritual. It was certainly an enlightening experience, and I do appreciate the different perspective. [20:54] It also gave me ideas that I could incorporate into my Druidic practice. [21:04] *** Noinden (Mibbit@sorcery-k20dgl.irl.cri.nz) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [00:00] *** Wolfolatry (Mibbit@sorcery-2q398f.wa.comcast.net) has joined #ADF [00:01] *** Wolfolatry (Mibbit@sorcery-2q398f.wa.comcast.net) has quit IR