*** Opened channel log for #adf at 2/9/2016 6:55:28 PM [18:55] *** Owlhawk (Owlhawk@sorcery-2bv46v.cable.rogers.com) has joined #adf [18:55] *** Topic is: Welcome to the chat for Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship (ADF). Find out more about us at http://www.adf.org [18:55] *** Topic set by ChanServ!services@services.sorcery.net on Mon Aug 3 7:55 AM [18:55] =NickServ= This nickname is registered and protected. If it is your [18:55] =NickServ= nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. Otherwise, [18:55] =NickServ= please choose a different nick. [18:55] =NickServ= If you do not change within 1 minute, I will change your nick. [18:55] =NickServ= Password accepted - you are now recognized. [18:55] *** Mode change [+o Owlhawk] on #adf by ChanServ [19:05] *** Grey_W (greywolf@sorcery-alqnl0.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net) has joined #adf [19:25] *** Lonnie (Mibbit@sorcery-pr0221.client.mchsi.com) has joined #adf [19:38] *** Brendan (Mibbit@sorcery-cfj.bci.192.24.IP) has joined #adf [19:52] *** Steve_Patrick_Amos (Mibbit@sorcery-nu1e27.dsl.bell.ca) has joined #adf [19:53] *** KroviRoz (Mibbit@sorcery-7bab1e.ut.comcast.net) has joined #adf [19:54] What is the discussion about? [19:55] Not sure what was planned, but there's been nothing yet. [19:55] * Grey_W was sure there was a topic list at adf's site.... huh... [19:58] [Owlhawk] there's no set topic. we generally do an open discussion Tuesday nights [19:58] (oopps.. k. so its been a while ;-) [19:59] [Owlhawk] lol. sunday has a tooic most times [19:59] Ok, my first time. [19:59] [Owlhawk] welcome [20:00] Thanks. [20:00] Hello all. [20:01] [Owlhawk] hi. [20:02] [Owlhawk] so, anything people want to discuss? [20:03] uh oh... open mic night. :) [20:03] I've been out of the loop for a few months. I figured I'd lurk and dive in once things got going. [20:04] lol.. You know, kind of the same answer for me. [20:04] *** Nikita (Mibbit@sorcery-6ov244.md.comcast.net) has joined #adf [20:05] How was everyone's Imbolc? [20:06] [Owlhawk] bizarrely warm. [20:06] Honestly, didn't do anything special. [20:07] Quiet, peaceful, and prophetic. [20:07] Imbolc: very low key.. But least managed to put offerings the night before [20:07] *** TrentDirenna (Mibbit@sorcery-oaru1r.ca.charter.com) has joined #adf [20:08] hi everyone [20:08] Imbolc is a big favorite of mine. Brigid was the first goddess I encountered and is still the one I am most devoted to. [20:08] TrentDirenna: Evening ;) [20:09] I'm doing the DP, so it was my first time celebrating it in ADF style, though it's my 6th ADF ritual. Every time has been a bit different. It was somewhat enlightening, but I also felt like it was kinda empty. I waited til the new moon to celebrate it though. [20:09] [Owlhawk] why did it feel kinda empty? [20:10] *** Rovena (Mibbit@sorcery-tom0dv.direcpc.com) has joined #adf [20:10] *** Mode change [+o Rovena] on #adf by ChanServ [20:11] *** Dale_ (guest@sorcery-kc6tfq.res.rr.com) has joined #adf [20:11] Sorry I am late. Had issues signing on [20:11] Good evening, everybody [20:11] hi rovena [20:11] I'm not sure how to describe it; I felt little in the way of energy...and kept catching sighs in the middle of saying things, and the Kindred seemed...preoccupied? I didnt even manage to open two gates. [20:11] [Owlhawk] hello [20:11] Hello Trent [20:11] Still getting used to different seasons (PA->NC) .. Used to snow for Imbolc [20:11] Hello Dale [20:12] Nikita: So, kind of "we're trying to wake up" feeling ? [20:13] Hi Rovena, and Owlhawk. [20:13] [Owlhawk] hi Dale [20:15] Hm. I'm not sure. It was weird. Demeter seemed really distracted, like she showed up, but not really paying attention. Hestia, my BotO, usually responds well, but this time she seemed to flicker, like a candle being lit, but not quite catching. Persephone was the only solid presence. I called on her as GK. I kept feeling a cold brush on my arm when I spoke to [20:15] her [20:16] [Owlhawk] She is still with her husband..... [20:16] Yes, I know. She ascends on Ostara. [20:16] [Owlhawk] That would explain the cold brush I think [20:16] *** LauraMae (Mibbit@sorcery-m7bd99.res.rr.com) has joined #adf [20:17] That would make sense. [20:17] Nikita: If I may ask, what was the omen (if any) [20:17] [Owlhawk] As for Demeter being distracted, it is getting close to Kore's return to her and this is an unusal winter [20:19] I figured much the same. As for the omen, i suppose I do it a differently then others? I have an oracle deck. I usually draw a card, and then go into a series of spreads. The first card I drew "Anxiety"...usually I draw something like an archangel or other spirit related card, so I was surprised. [20:20] Then I drew "Thinking Woman" and "Journey' [20:21] [Owlhawk] might be time to look into the Greek Alphabet Oracle. [20:21] *** RobHenderson (Mibbit@sorcery-gka4di.mi.comcast.net) has joined #adf [20:22] Quite the crowd tonight! [20:22] *** Drum (Mibbit@sorcery-030qp0.buckeyecom.net) has joined #adf [20:22] Nikita: always interested in trying different omen styles... [20:22] [Owlhawk] it is. How are you Rob? [20:22] I had been thinking about it. I'm not skilled with divination. I'm open to trying something new. [20:22] Greetings, all [20:23] [Owlhawk] Rob wrote an Android app for the Greek Alphabet Oracle... [20:23] Surviving. i don't think the pain meds are affecting me too much, but when you live alone it's hard to know for sure. [20:23] [Owlhawk] hi Drum [20:23] Nikita: So, on the cards, and the feeling, what was your thoughts [20:23] Hi Drum & Rob [20:23] [Owlhawk] yes it is. Wife asks me about that a fair bit [20:23] Hello, Dale and Owlhawk and all [20:23] * Grey_W waves to Drum and Rob [20:24] I do intend to have rune and ogham versions of the app at some point. [20:24] cool! [20:25] I felt like "Anxiety" was more an acknowledgment. My work is stressful, and perhaps I was as distracted as the Kindred were. The other two...I'm not sure, but maybe I need to spend more time on my Druid work. Like a spiritual journey. [20:25] [Owlhawk] Nikitia, might be a good idea to go over your ritual issues again now that Drum and Rob are with us [20:25] hi to all newcomers :) [20:25] Rob, any idea what sort of oracles would be somewhat culturally appropriate for a Roman hearth? [20:25] Ritual issues are always something i want to help with. [20:25] Hello Trent [20:26] Skip Ellison has a book entitled "The Divine Liver" [20:26] Which does not require an actual liver [20:26] [Owlhawk] ? now I'm curious... [20:26] That’s a plus :) [20:26] I've tried to change divination to the right "hearth", but I kept getting in the way of myself.. [20:26] We should all try to have divine lives, making us divine livers. >8) [20:27] [Owlhawk] owe [20:27] [Owlhawk] owie [20:27] lol [20:27] Good evening everyone! [20:27] Touche, Rob [20:27] Hi! [20:27] Oh, ok. Well, I was just telling the others that I had a rather interesting, but somewhat empty, experience in my Imbolc ritual. The Kindred seemed preoccupied, except Persephone. I felt a cold brush when I spoke to her. [20:28] [Owlhawk] Demeter and Hestia were two of the others [20:28] Was she the divinity of the occasion? [20:28] I think we all have that experiences at least once in a while. [20:28] Yes. Demeter was my EM, and Hestia was BotO. [20:28] It was a Hellenic rite then? [20:28] Interesting Nikita. When I pulled the omen for my Imbolc rite I got a card that signified needless anxiety brought about by worrying needlessly. [20:28] *** Rovena (Mibbit@sorcery-tom0dv.direcpc.com) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [20:28] * Grey_W nods at RobHenderson [20:28] Persephone was my GK. [20:28] *** Rovena (Mibbit@sorcery-tom0dv.direcpc.com) has joined #adf [20:29] Yes, Rob. [20:29] *** Steve_Patrick_Amos (Mibbit@sorcery-nu1e27.dsl.bell.ca) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [20:29] Interesting GK choice, I've not seen that before. [20:29] Makes sense, though [20:29] Do you usually feel a stronger presence during your rituals? [20:29] *** Rovena is now known as Guest6903 [20:29] I did my Imbolc ritual with the core order of ritual. I'm still working on my DP. It was my 5th HighDay, but only the 4th Core Order. I got to the key offerings and broke into a solo sumbel for all the fire bringers. It got very warm. I call that a success. It has been snowing ever since LOL [20:30] I thought so as well. I've tried Hermes, but he seems...flighty. Hekate doesn't respond. And yes, I usually feel the energy change. Not usually much in the way of personalities, but an energy change. [20:31] Don't forget iris and Eos. [20:31] *** Guest6903 is now known as Rovena [20:31] Have you been using the same offerings? [20:31] *** Mode change [+o Rovena] on #adf by ChanServ [20:32] It depends. For Apollon, Hestia, EM, and the Kindred, yes. [20:32] the BotO and the GK will change. [20:32] Would it be worth asking for 'clarification' in a meditation ? [20:32] Congrats, Lonnie. [20:33] Any omen results from the rite? [20:33] *** Rovena (Mibbit@sorcery-tom0dv.direcpc.com) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [20:33] Thanks, Nikita! [20:33] *** Rovena (Mibbit@sorcery-tom0dv.direcpc.com) has joined #adf [20:33] Hm. I can try to do a meditation session. I usually do go re-consult the cards for clarification, but I wasn't getting anything. [20:34] [Owlhawk] I've done it once or twice Grey. kinda depends on what's happening [20:34] Rob: I pull cards from my oracle deck for an omen. My first card was "Anxiety" followed by "Thinking Woman" and "Journey" [20:34] *** Mode change [+o Rovena] on #adf by ChanServ [20:34] [Owlhawk] sorry, misread grewy's comment... [20:35] Not a system I'm familiar with, so i have to be indelicate and ask if you're a woman? [20:35] Yes. [20:35] I'm solitary. Sometimes my rituals get very heart felt and off my planned tracks. I had every intention of Hailing Brighid when I started the ritual. I'm Heathen, but she's more than welcome in my home and hearth any day. I said my peace, made my offering, and out came a lot more from my mouth. Thank goodness I had plenty of ale on hand! [20:36] Then I have my interpretation, but how do you read the cards? [20:36] lol, Lonnie. It's always nice to be inspired. [20:37] Well, I read "Anxiety" as an acknowledgment of the state the Kindred and I were in. Since it seemed they were preoccupied, and I've been stressed and busy with work. The other two...possibly working on my Druid path, unless it spoke of work. [20:37] I am not sure that I would consider the Kindred as anxious [20:38] I'd mostly agree, but... yeah, what Drum just typed. [20:38] Your anxiety would be enough to cause that lack of connection. [20:38] Agreed [20:38] Fair enough. [20:39] That doesn't necessarily mean they hate you or reject you, just that you weren't quite in the right state to interact with them well. [20:40] That makes sense. I always look forward to the rituals, but I was having a tough time with this one. But I'm still learning. [20:40] And I'd argue that it's our willingness to continue doing the work even when we aren't feeling 100% into it that represents our true piety/ [20:40] The questions you ask before seeking the omen is important. It sheds much more light on the omen drawn and allows clearer communication both ways. [20:40] could be concern on the side of the Kindred (not wanting to push you) [20:40] [Owlhawk] well said Rob [20:41] Your doing the rite proves that you aren't a "fair-weather worshipper". [20:41] That makes me feel better. It's too easy to make it feel like I'm just doing it wrong, and to doubt if its right to do it at all. [20:42] Doing somethjing is almost always better than doing nothing. [20:42] Yes indeed [20:42] * Grey_W nods [20:42] I never thought of it that way., Grey. [20:43] Well, I'm already looking forward to Ostara. So I'll keep trying. [20:43] Thank you, all :) [20:43] Good approach, Nikita [20:43] No problem! [20:43] [Owlhawk] that's what we are here for [20:44] Nikita: Some would have stopped... integrity ;-) [20:44] Perseverance. [20:44] And piety, as I said. [20:45] Perhaps I'll work on those papers for the DP this weekend. [20:46] I have two presentations to give at a convention in ten days, and i haven't finished the reading for one of them, so may week 's plans are pretty well set. >8) [20:46] [Owlhawk] are you perchance recording said presentations? [20:46] ;) [20:46] Oh gods no. [20:47] lol [20:47] I have no good equipment to do it on, and now that I think of it, the convention may not even allow it. [20:47] [Owlhawk] darn. [20:47] Plus who wants to hear my voice for ninety minutes? [20:47] [Owlhawk] Articles for Oakleaves then? [20:47] I may do articles. [20:48] awesome :) [20:48] ahh.. the times when people say "nice word" and you haven't a clue what you said ;-) [20:48] Not sure I can sya much beyond "go read these books, the author said everything I want to say about the topic". [20:49] Nikita, does your oracle card for anxiety have an image on it? [20:49] [Owlhawk] we need good articles Rob. You write good articles. Kindly get to it! ;) [20:49] I'm halfway through "Kharis" and only strongly disagree on one paragraph. [20:49] [Owlhawk] saw you menniton that on facebook. I may need to look into getting it. [20:50] "The greeks had oath rituals, but modern Pagans don't have much interest in oathing so i won't cover it here." Really? [20:50] She clearly knows different Pagans than I do. [20:50] [Owlhawk] lol [20:50] Yes, Lonnie. A woman in what's likely a red dress, surrounded by red drapes. You can see a window behind her - an old cathedral style one, with a storm and lightening. She looks tired and worried. [20:51] No oaths? [20:51] My thoughts so far are to just hit the most common misconceptions new Hellenic prasctitioners have. [20:51] *** Brendan (Mibbit@sorcery-cfj.bci.192.24.IP) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [20:51] Since she covers every one I'm aware of and then some, and I see how important it is for new folks to be aware of them. [20:52] Would you might sharing some of them here? [20:52] Heathens of yore had a ll sorts of Oath rituals. Swear on rings, swords, stones, and probably anything else nearby. One of my favorite weird ones is from Gisli's Saga. Dug up the ground to be like an arch, cut open hands, dripped blood into the new hole while going under the arch. Comlplicated. And a curse to them all in the long run lol [20:52] There are like twenty so far. >8) [20:52] During some of the blots I’ve been involved with, we actively caution people about making oaths as that draws everybody there into your oath, and failure affects many more people than just the oath taker. We espically do that when there are new people that we don’t know. [20:52] One that I experienced IRL was on a FB group where someone asked which Greek deities would trans folk work with... [20:53] Dale_: Same here... [20:53] I've been meaning to ask...there was a person who posted on the FB group about how they felt we were being Christian-like egocentric (or at least as I read it) for wanting a personal relationship with the gods. Is that bad? [20:53] Several of them mentioned Aollon and Dionysos, and I said, "Hermaphroditus? Lrt's not overlook the obvious here. [20:53] Nikita- should i finish mine or answer that? >8) [20:54] Finish, my apologies. [20:54] Nikita, grab a pen and paper when you get a chance. Ignore the title of the card. Just look at it and see what you notice first. Jot it down. Could be "dress" or "red" or "woman"/ Go on to the next thing your attention sees. Do this exercise until you've formed a circle of 9 words. Now look at your circle. Connect the patterns you see. [20:54] That's one of the misconceptions the author of Khairs does address. [20:54] Nikita, to finish my post. That will reveal a deeper and more personal message. [20:55] Anyway, a few of them respond, well, yeah, I know about Hermaphroditus, but I really only want to work with the twelve main deities, not any of the lesser ones. [20:55] I wanted to copy that text into a dempotivational poster that saud "Polytheism: You're doing it wrong." [20:56] Ah. [20:56] But a lot of new folks seem to think they must choose one of the twelve. [20:56] (As though the ancients even agreed which twelve those were. Another misconception.) [20:57] Anyway, the ancients had household deities they honored above others, so that's clearly a form of personal relationship. [20:57] The argument whether to call them you "patron" is a little more real, but that's just semantics. [20:58] I consider those folks to be over-reacting to practicing in a mostly monotheist culture, and rejecting anything that sounds like what the Christians do, whether the ancient Greeks did it or not. [20:59] I see. [21:00] There's a reason Hesiod spends half of the teogony talking about Hekate, and it's not because she was a major figure to everyone, it's because she was the household goddess of his family. [21:00] (Theogony) [21:01] [Owlhawk] That, I didn't know. [21:01] Apparently I have stunned everyone into silence. [21:01] RobHenderson: I think we wanted to wait till you finished [21:01] Mhm [21:02] Okay, i'm finished. >8) [21:02] Awww [21:02] "Ask a Hellene" :) [21:02] RobHenderson: sorry ;-( [21:02] [Owlhawk] lol\ [21:02] Our practice is about relationships with the Kindreds, so why not have a personal relationship with some of them? [21:02] Exactly [21:03] RobHenderson: But where is it said that it must be one of the shining ones? [21:03] I wondered that, but...I sort of understood what she was saying...that most practice was done as a group, even as a family unit, or so I think? [21:03] personally, I have no relationship with the Gods/Godesses [21:03] And seriously, it's not inconsistent with what we know of how the ancients practiced, they just wouldn't have used the word "patron" to describe it. [21:03] (Hero's seldom sing their own songs #toothy-grin#) [21:03] People who lived alone did solitary rites, and there were a few of those.\ [21:04] I have personal relationship with the kindreds. House spirits, nature spirits, ancestors, disir, alfar, Gods and Goddesses alike. Very long and personal relationships. Why wouldn't you? [21:04] *** Alusa (Alusa@sorcery-elene9.skt2ca.sbcglobal.net) has joined #adf [21:04] Makes sense. [21:04] I have a relationship with one of my ancestors, a local stream, and several Gods/Goddesses [21:04] But household worship did usually center around the family, because that's who lived in most of the households. [21:04] Nature spirits, aye.. Some Ancestors (not at same level) [21:04] And my household spirits [21:05] As Ro0b said [21:05] Rob [21:05] If someone told a person living alone that they couldn't honor the gods and have a relationship with them,, I would smack them. [21:05] Household and civic ritual were both hugely important. [21:05] [Owlhawk] I just ignore those people and contyinue with my solitary rites [21:06] When you go to school, you have relationships with lots of different people but only a few are that of mentor [21:06] I do honor my ancestors daily as "Those of blood and bone, spirit and hearth, and the family and friends who passed from this life." Blood and bone are those ancestors going back beyond personal relationships in the flesh. [21:06] RobHenderson: Gods or Kindered? [21:06] I'm in the military, and have a roommate. So my worship is very personal. I don't have any community. [21:06] I also note that Walter Burkert (my man!) said that most Greeks used the familiar verb tense when addressing their gods in household rites, but the formal verb forms during civic rites. [21:06] honor the gods if different from a patron whos a god [21:06] *if=is [21:07] Grey: Either. I'm playing fast and loose with the terms tonight. yay pain meds! [21:07] [Owlhawk] hey, they get you talking, so I'm in favour of them! [21:07] I honour the Gods... just have no patron of [21:07] Questions I knoiw the answers to get me talking. >8) [21:07] [Owlhawk] lol [21:08] I don't think having a patron should be a requirement. [21:08] I have no patron. I have my favorites that I resonate with more over the years. I still honor them all. [21:08] Nikita: ADF's great there.. You DO have a community... it's just ...say, not at your doorstep [21:08] (just a tree root away, perhaps ;-) ) [21:09] A virtual community perhaps [21:09] Nikita, I'm a solitary here. ADF has a wonderful presence online for a community beyond your neighborhood. [21:09] lol, indeed. Though this is the first time I got a chance to do more than a quick post on the elist. [21:09] I'm happy to have joined. :) [21:10] Yay! [21:10] Awesome! [21:10] You can do long posts on the list as well. ghe Hellenic list can answer many of your questions. [21:11] Everyone certainly responded quickly to my FB inquiry, though to be honest, I thought I made you angry. [21:11] [Owlhawk] Well, we are here every Turesday evening and Sunday afternoons is the European Chat. [21:11] That is why we host these chats. A chance to talk to others [21:11] and thank you for that! [21:11] (I'm in one of my "death to Fcebook" moods lately, so promoting the lists more than I usually do.) [21:11] Thank you for that, Rob [21:11] The elists are civil; Facebook is... [21:11] Facebook [21:12] That's fair. [21:12] I refuse to be in the ADF groups there, so I don't know but will take your word for it. >8) [21:13] As List Master, I prefer the lists :D [21:13] Our biggest problem right now seems to be that nobody knows about the forum front-end. [21:13] Speaking of Facebook. ADF members are welcome to add me. https://www.facebook.com/lonniescott [21:14] I like the Facebook groups for the ADF and the Troth. Venture out into more general Druid or Heathen groups at your own risk. lol [21:14] It isn't well advertised outside of yourself, Rob [21:15] I had never heard of the fourm until it was mentioned. [21:15] And linked in the elist. [21:15] Exactly. And how many people refuse to use the lists because they prefer a forum interface? [21:16] *** Nikita (Mibbit@sorcery-6ov244.md.comcast.net) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:16] They should be linked from the main page of the ADF site in 72 poijnt blinking font. [21:16] *** Nikita (Mibbit@sorcery-6ov244.md.comcast.net) has joined #adf [21:16] elist? is that like a mailing list? [21:16] Does anyone have the stats for who uses FB vs elist vs Fourms? [21:16] They are mostly synonymous, Alusa. [21:16] Facebook is an app is most pockets with quick easy access as well as instant gratification for likes and comments. E-lists take a little more effort. That's my guess. The lists are pretty quiet by comparison. [21:17] Quiet isn't always bad, but that's me. [21:17] I'd rather have sporadic good discussion that the constant drone. [21:18] i like it somewhere in the middle. Moderation :) [21:18] I've not seen any stats, Nikita, and since i only use the mailing lists I couldn't guess. [21:18] Is this chat forum available for specific groups? [21:19] I haven't been on an e-list since 1999. My email, now, is too busy to have another thing in there. [21:19] It has been [21:19] The forums are the mailing lists are the same things. [21:19] The fourms are like...the elist archive? [21:20] They're different way of accessing the exact same posts. [21:20] Anything i post to ADF-Hellenic from my mail client is also posted to the forum. [21:20] And any response in the forum is e-mailed to me. [21:20] Ah. [21:20] The e-lists only have ADF members on them, while FB, for many of the groups, is open to most everybody. I think it’s nice that we have a public discussion where those not in ADF can ask questions and learn about us, however, it also opens the doors to less civilized conversations by those who don’t have a stake in us. [21:21] So they do function as an archive, sure. [21:22] It takes good moderators to make Facebook groups work. I'm a moderator for the Tarot Professionals group. We have a small groups of admins and a specific set of posting guidelines. It helps run the group of several thousand people pretty smooth. [21:24] *** Rovena (Mibbit@sorcery-tom0dv.direcpc.com) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:25] I always thought a stricyl moderated mailing list that answered two or three questions per week would be good. [21:25] True, and I think we have a fine bunch of moderators, but you can have a frustrating circular argument where nobody is technicaly breaking any rules, but it still causes agitation…plus, trolls can spout nonsense without having to be concerned about their reputtion as they are only in it for the short term. [21:25] But in the era of social media, it'll never take off now. [21:25] (strictly, not stricyl) [21:26] (you see the down side of the pain meds) [21:26] Off to other projects! Great chat this week!!! May you all be blessed with health, wealth, love, laughter, and many many years to enjoy it all! [21:26] Night! [21:26] night [21:26] Night [21:26] night [21:26] *** Lonnie (Mibbit@sorcery-pr0221.client.mchsi.com) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:26] That’s so true, Rob. Social media has lowered the bar of what people expect out of a conversation . [21:27] Plus young people refuse to use e-mail. >8) [21:27] but it can get overwhelming [21:28] One of my grove officers doesn't have a Facebook account at all and tells them to use e--mal to contact her, they stare at her as though she's Medusa and has petrified them. [21:28] lol [21:29] [Owlhawk] .good for her [21:29] I don’t know that email is a great solution either, though with a well configured email list, it helps. Without that, a good conversation is difficult as not everybody gets CCed every time. It’s part of my annoyance at work that people use Reply, when it should be a Reply to All and then the conversation fragments. [21:30] People keep assuming that my defense of members who don't have FB accounts in just something I made up so I could argue, so her presence validates me. >8) [21:30] ( Dale_: irc = hipchat/slack #grin#) [21:30] Or just the opposite, Dale. :) I can't count the number of times a Reply All was used for an inappropriate message. [21:30] I get double messages. One to me, one to the group. [21:31] *** Darkeyes (Mibbit@sorcery-51nf1m.cicril.sbcglobal.net) has joined #adf [21:31] One of the groups I’m in has made FB Groups our primary means of communicating with members. While I don’t care for it, at least it is a common interface that 90+% of our members use. Howerver, the 10% that don’t are quite vocal about being left out. [21:32] That's the way it works, Nikita [21:32] Ah. [21:33] Does the group meet ftf at all, Dale? [21:33] One for the elists, one for the forums. You can tell the difference by the sending email address [21:33] *** Darkeyes (Mibbit@sorcery-51nf1m.cicril.sbcglobal.net) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:33] Ah, well... I'm going back to obscurity. [21:34] Yes, we have board meeting every high-day. It’s a non ADF pagan community that has occasionaly hosted some of our ADF rites. [21:34] Well at least they can be heard part of the time. >8) [21:34] But I know two years ago our ADF regional retreat was planned entirely on the FB group and I literally had no idea it was happening. I was not happy. [21:35] *** KroviRoz (Mibbit@sorcery-7bab1e.ut.comcast.net) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:36] Serious question: If we gave people instructions on how to use e-mail clients to handle mailing lists, would that help, or make it seem more intimidating? [21:37] But, these tech forums put multiple ADF's in touch, who wouldn't normally have met [21:37] [Owlhawk] not sure Rob. I'd say it might help, but i don't find computers injtimidating [21:38] I’m currently revamping the bylaws, and posting them on the FB group, but one member who has FB, but refuses to use it on a regular basis has complained about being left out. She want to use the Yahoo groups for communication that haven’t been used in many years…assuming any of the current people have admin access to them still. In the end, I’ve decided to email her, and use FB for everybody else. It’s tough when we live in an electronic worl [21:38] of non homogeneous platforms…but if it were homogeneous we’d still complain *grin* [21:38] Same problem here, I've been using e-mail since 1986. I have a harder time understanding how my stove works. >8) [21:39] Back when I had a single point of access to email, it was manageable. Now with my phone being my primary access point, and my laptop being secondary, I find that I must process every email twice, and that’s very annoying. [21:39] RobHenderson: http://stove/on/400F [21:39] (cough... sorry..) [21:40] I said harder, not hard in its own right. >8) [21:40] I've been wondering about the extent to which smartphones shape that reactiob. [21:40] I’m suing POP3, so deleting an email from my phone doesn’t delete it from the server. I do that becuase otherwise with IMAP, I can’t remove clutter from my phone, of messages I want to keep and process later, with out deleting them. I suppose I could move them to a folder, but that would be changing my work habbits, and that’s difficult too *grin*. Yep, the problem is all with me. [21:40] I have no smartphone, so I only really read my e-mail on my desktop system. [21:41] guess I've been lucky that the mailing list map through gmail, phone, and website alike. [21:41] My laptop is the backup device for storing e-mail, but I never answer anything from it. [21:43] Goodnight, everyone! Thank you, again :) [21:43] night [21:43] Night! [21:43] Goodnight [21:44] I'm off as well. The primary results are intriguing me, so I should focus on those. [21:45] [Owlhawk] have a good night. [21:45] Be well, Rob. Good seeing you here [21:45] Goodnight Rob [21:45] night rob :) [21:45] *** RobHenderson (Mibbit@sorcery-gka4di.mi.comcast.net) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:45] night Rob [21:45] *** Nikita (Mibbit@sorcery-6ov244.md.comcast.net) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:46] gonna log off myself too...if anyone here is going to pantheacon i will see you there [21:46] [Owlhawk] enjoy [21:47] So, druidry and Tech.. Rites and omens from "computing" devices... has it worked out for folks? [21:47] [Owlhawk] there's a druid moon ritual held using Google Groups video [21:48] Aye, really need to catch up on stuff.... [21:48] *** TrentDirenna (Mibbit@sorcery-oaru1r.ca.charter.com) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:53] *** LauraMae (Mibbit@sorcery-m7bd99.res.rr.com) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:54] It's been a good evening, thanks to all.. Night [21:55] I think rites and omens electronically work just fine [21:55] *** Grey_W (greywolf@sorcery-alqnl0.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net) has left #adf [21:56] Good night [21:56] Night! [21:56] *** Drum (Mibbit@sorcery-030qp0.buckeyecom.net) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:56] *** Dale_ (guest@sorcery-kc6tfq.res.rr.com) has quit IRC [Client exited] *** Closed channel log for #adf at 2/9/2016 9:56:57 PM