*** Opened channel log for #adf at 11/17/2015 7:15:39 PM [19:15] *** Owlhawk (Owlhawk@sorcery-2bv46v.cable.rogers.com) has joined #adf [19:15] *** Topic is: Welcome to the chat for Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship (ADF). Find out more about us at http://www.adf.org [19:15] *** Topic set by ChanServ!services@services.sorcery.net on Mon Aug 3 7:55 AM [19:15] =NickServ= This nickname is registered and protected. If it is your [19:15] =NickServ= nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. Otherwise, [19:15] =NickServ= please choose a different nick. [19:15] =NickServ= If you do not change within 1 minute, I will change your nick. [19:15] =NickServ= Password accepted - you are now recognized. [19:15] *** Mode change [+o Owlhawk] on #adf by ChanServ [19:16] *** Owlhawk has kicked cccy_RegeaneWolfe from #adf [pow!] [19:16] *** Owlhawk has kicked Alusa_ from #adf [pow!] [19:16] *** cccy_RegeaneWolfe (cccy_Regean@sorcery-4kn.ivs.23.210.IP) has joined #adf [19:52] *** RovenaWindsor (Mibbit@sorcery-ik8vmo.direcpc.com) has joined #adf [19:55] *** RovenaWindsor (Mibbit@sorcery-ik8vmo.direcpc.com) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [19:56] *** RovenaWindsor (Mibbit@sorcery-ik8vmo.direcpc.com) has joined #adf [20:07] Good Evening, Everyone! [20:08] *** RovenaWindsor (Mibbit@sorcery-ik8vmo.direcpc.com) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [20:08] *** RovenaWindsor (Mibbit@sorcery-ik8vmo.direcpc.com) has joined #adf [20:11] Hello! [20:11] Hello [20:11] How are you tonight [20:20] I'm pretty good. Multitasking several things at once, sorry for the slow response [20:20] This program beeps for everything except messages received. >.> [20:21] *** lscott (Mibbit@sorcery-pr0221.client.mchsi.com) has joined #adf [20:21] *** RobHenderson (Mibbit@sorcery-gka4di.mi.comcast.net) has joined #adf [20:22] Mmm, people are here! [20:22] Yay, welcome! [20:22] Understand that. This new computer will drop my Internet and re-add me so fast that I don't know it happens [20:22] Hello Rob [20:22] *** lscott (Mibbit@sorcery-pr0221.client.mchsi.com) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [20:22] *** Britannia_Krane (Mibbit@sorcery-lfeu5g.fidnet.com) has joined #adf [20:22] *** Lonnie (Mibbit@sorcery-pr0221.client.mchsi.com) has joined #adf [20:23] Good evening, everyone :) [20:23] Hello Britannia [20:23] Hello Lonnie [20:23] Evening, Rovena Windsor and Lonnie. [20:24] Were there DP questions? [20:26] I'm 3 High days and some essays through the DP. I'm considering the Initiate Program next. I noticed they said the DP for applicants is reviewed to a higher standard. What advice would you give to meet those standards? [20:27] An excellent question, and since I'm not involved with the IP, I have absolutely no idea. >8) [20:28] I know that worst case, they'd expect you to rewrite portions of the DP submission, bit that rarely happens. [20:28] (but that) [20:30] I know that was true at one time but I am not sure that they still do that [20:30] I'm pretty hard on myself. Hopefully it's good enough. [20:31] Having rubrics for the DP these days probably means it's less of an issue. [20:34] At one time there were three levels of rubrics but now there is only meets or not meets. [20:37] I've noticed member sites where they shared their DP work goes over words limits time and time again. How strict are the word limits? I find it hard to crunch once in a while. [20:38] The number you see listed are the minimums. (Minima?) [20:38] So if it says 150 words on a High Daym you can do between 150 and 450 words. [20:38] The maximum is triple the minimum for any requirement. [20:41] Good answers don't have to be long. Choose your words well. Have pity on the reviewer that has to read your answers. [20:44] Has anyone here used the DP Through the Wheel of the Year guidebook? [20:45] I do have pity on the poor souls lol [20:45] I did my DP in 1998 so it wasn't an option. >8) [20:45] I have read it but did not use it. [20:45] I highly recommend the DP through the wheel of the year book. It turns the DP into an easier to navigate course. It is pretty much a syllabus. [20:46] Lots of people say it helps them. [20:46] I've heard nothing but good things. [20:46] I've been using it for about four or five weeks now and I like it a lot. I'm glad to hear that others also find it useful. [20:46] Also, is anyone else on Tumblr? I have a blog there and I'd love to connect to other ADFers [20:48] Yes I am. chaosheathen.tumblr.com [20:48] I look at Tumblr and realize how very old I am. >8) [20:48] Awesome! I'm hearthly-concerns, but it's not my main so you won't see that one follow you [20:48] haha [20:52] Time for "Scream Queens", night all! [20:53] Later! [20:53] If it's not too forward, how old are most Dedicants? I'm 29 [20:54] There's a decent range, I know someone who pass it at age 15, and some of the ones I mentor are over 60. [20:54] Wow, I did not expect 15 [20:54] I wish I'd known about this when I was fifteen [20:55] Most new ADF members who stick around are in the 25 to 35 range, soI expect that's common for DP students. [20:55] *** RobHenderson (Mibbit@sorcery-gka4di.mi.comcast.net) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [20:58] I'm 38. I've been a Pagan, Heathen, and Occultist for 23 years. I first joined ADF way back in 99. It wasn't the place or time for me in those days. I just came back after a long winding journey. It's definitely a home and the place for me now. [21:01] What first brought you to the "nontraditional" paths, if I can ask? [21:02] Everything in its time [21:03] I wasn't raised to be anything at all. Never baptized or pushed. I've been curious about spiritual paths since my early teens. I got real curious about magic too. I didn't just read books. I copied them by hand. I experimented. I got results. I've been hooked ever since. [21:03] That's awesome [21:08] My first try at anything was actually a curse I cobbled together from ideas from Huson's book. My dad spent years drinking and beating me. I decided magic could strike back. I was 15. In fact, the only two books in my possession was Huson's book and Celtic Magic by Conway. Only half a good start! [21:08] That's an intense origin story [21:09] I don't have anything half that dramatic, lol [21:10] I worked the ritual with stolen candles and hushed whispers so I wouldn't wake up anyone. Dad was working on a window unit on a ladder the next day. High wind came along and blew him off. He broke his ankle, stopped drinking, and stopped the violence with it. I'll never forget that day. Not one result has ever been that good since. [21:10] wowww [21:10] Good job! [21:10] Maybe coincidence. Sure. If I believed that I wouldn't have kept on studying and practicing. [21:11] Coincidence is a fancy word for "something weird that happened" [21:11] Thanks! That was quite a convincing event for my young mind. Now if all these years of money spells come home to roost, I'll build a grand ADF temple complex LOL [21:11] hahaha [21:12] Maybe the need has not been as great [21:13] That's what I was thinking [21:15] That is, indeed, quite an interesting beginning. I suppose we all found our way into our current paths one way or another. It's almost like a calling, ins't it? [21:15] I'm not sure if I was so much called as pushed, tbh. I've been so frustrated with the religions modeled for me as a child that I assumed I must be an atheist [21:16] but even that wasn't satisfying. It left me equally frustrated but for different reasons. [21:16] I know the feeling all too well, Sionnan. [21:17] I was raised to be a mixture of Baptist and Pentecostal. From my youth, I was always told that I would 'find God and Jesus' once I was ready. So very frustrating. [21:17] Still told that, actually. Hasn't changed yet. [21:18] Honestly, I think the difference for me is -doxic versus -praxic [21:18] "Believe it until it makes you do things" vs. "do things until you believe it". [21:18] That is true for many people [21:18] one of those first steps is significantly easier for me [21:20] I think I'm somewhere in the middle of the doxic vs praxic approach. I'm praxic on ritual and magic. A bit doxic on some of my core beliefs. [21:20] I believe it to be so for most people. Christianity never 'clicked,' and that isn't a good thing in a very small community. I have around five churches within walking distance from my house. I always felt the pull of the world around me, a sense of something 'other' I couldn't deny. [21:22] I stand in a middle ground. I believe in the raw, untamed power of the world. Practice will bring me closer to that feeling, and the core beliefs...they are being refined. Better understood. [21:22] Some of it was kind of difficult for me, in the beginning. However, DP has given me the tools I need to be able to hunt down the knowledge I need to move forward. And for that, I am happy. [21:22] I say core beliefs. They are subject to change with new evidence too. [21:22] I envy that, actually. The fundamental belief that a lot of people have [21:23] I was raised by dismissive atheists, so any "woo" type talk was roundly discouraged [21:23] So for now believing has to be a conscious act on my part [21:24] I was lucky. I was raised to explore all religions and respect all for the truth they each hold. [21:24] Many people tend to discourage what they do not understand. Much of the old ways have been buried, and now that they are reviving, many people are uncertain. Perhaps there is a belief it will cause religious turmoil. Cause the balances to change. [21:25] Sionnan, mine are based on concepts such as interconnection and animism. The symbology of the Well and Tree resonate deep;y with me. Principles of hospitality, wisdom, and perseverance really mean something to me. That's what I mean by core beliefs. [21:25] Those are easier for me than beliefs to do with spirits, gods, or consciousnesses outside our own [21:26] I respect all religions. They all have merits in them. I am on the same line as you, Lonnie. The unity of all things is a part of my life, and lives deep within me. [21:26] High five! LOL [21:26] Hive five taken. :) [21:27] Sionnan, I understand your thoughts well enough. Spirits and gods are hard concepts for many to grasp. Though all living things have a consciousness. It is what makes us who we are. Even inanimate objects do, though they are a little more complex, I believe. [21:28] I feel like I understand that, to a point. It makes sense, but there's still that point where I feel like I'm talking to myself and I feel silly [21:29] So it's an internal struggle that I'm working with [21:31] It is an internal struggle. Our thoughts are internal, so when we're speaking out loud, and there's no other "people" in the room, it feels like we are talking to ourselves. Much of what I 'say' is mentally projected. Our 'energy' has an impact on everything we do, does it not? [21:32] I do a few verbal comments, but I also have a strong belief in spirits. On more than one occasion, I have come across them. Not all of them were friendly, mind you. [21:32] Sometimes it is important to say the words. Sounds have energy different from thoughts. [21:32] True, RovenaWindsor. [21:32] Sionnan go check out skeptik.com the podcast. Amazing research on consciousness, NDE's and mediums. You'll expand some thinking on the matter. [21:32] Oh, fantastic [21:32] thank you! [21:33] OOPS I meant skeptiko.com [21:33] that explains that [21:33] Indeed [21:34] The host also wrote an amazing book titled Why Science is Wrong about almost everything. It's a fun and insightful read. [21:34] Interesting.. I'll have to check that out [21:46] Everyone have a good evening! Thank you for a fun chat! [21:46] *** Lonnie (Mibbit@sorcery-pr0221.client.mchsi.com) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:47] You too! [21:49] 5 AM comes early so I need to head out. Last one out, please let the cat in and put the dog out before locking up. [21:50] Later, thank you! [21:54] I'm out as well, later! [21:54] *** Sionnan (sionnan@sorcery-cf1ps9.fios.verizon.net) has quit IRC [Quit: User pushed the X - because it's Xtra, baby] [21:54] *** RovenaWindsor (Mibbit@sorcery-ik8vmo.direcpc.com) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [21:56] *** Britannia_Krane (Mibbit@sorcery-lfeu5g.fidnet.com) has quit IRC [Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client] [05:15] *** Server connection lost [05:15] =NickServ= This nickname is registered and protected. If it is your [05:15] =NickServ= nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. Otherwise, [05:15] =NickServ= please choose a different nick. [05:15] =NickServ= If you do not change within 1 minute, I will change your nick. [05:15] *** Owlhawk (Owlhawk@sorcery-2bv46v.cable.rogers.com) has joined #adf [05:15] *** Topic is: Welcome to the chat for Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship (ADF). Find out more about us at http://www.adf.org [05:15] *** Topic set by ChanServ!services@services.sorcery.net on Mon Aug 3 7:55 AM [05:15] =NickServ= Password accepted - you are now recognized. [05:15] *** Mode change [+o Owlhawk] on #adf by ChanServ *** Closed channel log for #adf at 11/18/2015 5:16:58 AM *** Opened channel log for #adf at 11/21/2015 1:32:51 PM [13:32] *** Owlhawk (Owlhawk@sorcery-2bv46v.cable.rogers.com) has joined #adf [13:32] *** Topic is: Welcome to the chat for Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship (ADF). Find out more about us at http://www.adf.org [13:32] *** Topic set by ChanServ!services@services.sorcery.net on Mon Aug 3 7:55 AM [13:32] =NickServ= This nickname is registered and protected. If it is your [13:32] =NickServ= nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. Otherwise, [13:32] =NickServ= please choose a different nick. [13:32] =NickServ= If you do not change within 1 minute, I will change your nick. [13:32] =NickServ= Password accepted - you are now recognized. [13:32] *** Mode change [+o Owlhawk] on #adf by ChanServ [13:33] *** Mode change [+o Chelly] on #adf by Owlhawk *** Closed channel log for #adf at 11/21/2015 1:33:13 PM